John Stoner owned 120 acres located in Township 22 Range 18 (Franklin Township) Section 6. Shown here in the 1873 Plat Book for Richland County, Ohio.
Plat Book, 1873
Franklin Twp.
Township 22 / Range 18
Source: ATLAS MAP OF RICHLAND COUNTY, OHIO. Compiled, Drawn & Published from Personal Graminations & Surveys by A.T. Andreas. Chicago, Ill., 1873, p. 29

FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, was organized in 1816. The first election was held at Joseph Floro's, on the farm now owned by the heirs of Samuel Myers, at which Jacob Cline and William Holster were elected Justices of the Peace. The first religious meeting was held at the house of Peter Pittenger, on the Wolford farm, in 1815, the services being conducted by Rev. John Clingan, who organized a Methodist society of about twelve members. The first church was a log structure, built on the western slope of Big Hill, northeast of the County Infirmary, on land then owned by James Mahon. The first school house was built in 1818, on the land then owned by Jacob Osbun, now by Joseph Walters. The first school in the township was held in this house, and was a three months' term, supported by subscription. The teacher was John Hagerman. The township was then an almost unbroken wilderness. The forest was mainly oak, beech, maple and walnut. The elm, the ash and the sycamore skirted the winding Black Fork, while the second bottom lands were noted for their beautiful groves of sugar maple, and Big Hill, in the southeastern part of the township, abounded in chestnuts, wild grapes and hickory nuts.


Last updated: December 2009
For information or questions, contact Nick and Kristin (Stoner) Valkenhaus

All contents Copyright © 2005 - 2017